Reporting Options and Other Resources

​Reporting Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment or Stalking and ResourcesReporting

Rancho Santiago Community College District strives to provide a safe environment in which students can pursue their education free from the detrimental effects of sexual misconduct, which includes sexual assault, sexual harassment and stalking.  Therefore, the District seeks to educate students, faculty, and staff about these issues and to provide a means of recourse for those students who believe they have been the recipients of unwanted sexual behavior.  RSCCD reserves the right to respond with whatever measures it deems appropriate to prevent sexual misconduct and preserve the safety and well-being of students, faculty and staff.

This page is designed to assist students who are recipients of unwanted sexual behavior by providing available resources, reporting options and other information related to sexual misconduct.

Click here for a printable handout in English

Click here for a printable handout in Spanish

Click here for a printable handout in Vietnamese

Reporting Options​​

Maxient Incident Report for Employees

The District encourages all individuals to seek assistance from a medical provider and/or law enforcement immediately after an incident of sexual violence. This is the best option to ensure preservation of evidence and to begin a timely investigative and remedial response.

The District also encourages all individuals to make a report to the College. Reporting options are not mutually exclusive. Both internal and criminal reports may be pursued simultaneously.

Making a report means telling someone in authority what happened -- in person, by telephone, in writing or by email. At the time a report is made, a Complainant does not have to decide whether or not to request any particular course of action, nor does a Complainant need to know how to label what happened. Choosing to make a report, and deciding how to proceed after making the report, can be a process that unfolds over time. The College provides support that can assist each individual in making these important decisions, and to the extent legally possible will respect an individual’s autonomy in deciding how to proceed. In this process, the College will balance the individual’s interest with its obligation to provide a safe and non-discriminatory environment for all members of the campus community.

Victims of sexual violence on campus are urged to report the incident to District Safety and Security or go to the Student Health and Wellness Center at SAC (U-120) or SCC (T-102). Victims will be provided with immediate care and  transportation to a medical facility, if necessary; If the Health Center is closed, go to the Campus Safety office, (SAC at X-101, 714-564-6333 or SCC at LRC, 714-628-4730).


Off-campus victims should immediately call 9-1-1 to report the crime to local law enforcement authorities. Reporting a rape or other act of sexual violence does not commit a victim to filing charges. Even if the victim was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of an attack, a sex crime has still occurred. California Penal Code says that sexual assault victims cannot be charged for misdemeanor alcohol or drug use at the time of the attack.

  • You can make a police report to:
    • Santa Ana Police (714-245-8665) or the 
    • Orange Police Department (714-744-7444).  If this is an emergency, call 911.
  • You can make a report to Campus Safety
    • SAC 714-564-6330
    • SCC 714-628-4730
  • You can make a report to the Vice President of Student Services or the Vice President of Continuing Education
    • Vice President of Student Services

         SAC     (714) 564-6211

         SCC     (714) 628-4884

      Vice President of Continuing Education

         CEC      (714) 241-5708

         OEC      (714) 628-5910

  • If the incident involves RSCCD faculty or staff, you can file a complaint with the Office of Human Resources (714-480-7488).

Filing a Civil Suit


A victim may choose to file a civil suit against the defendant whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil suit gives a victim an opportunity to recover actual damages. This may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress.

Obtaining a Protective/Restraining Order

 A victim may also choose to obtain a protective/restraining order. Protective orders are civil court orders to protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of physical violence, sexual assault, or stalking by another individual. In California, one may obtain a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order. If a victim reports to law enforcement, they may assist them in obtaining a restraining order from a criminal court. RSCCD is committed to ensuring that any such order is fully upheld on all institutionally owned and controlled property.  RSCCD is also committed to protecting victims from any further harm.

Campus Resources

Students and staff may get assistance at the SAC or SCC Health Center for on and off campus counseling and other support services. The district maintains a zero tolerance policy regarding sexual violence. All reports of sex crimes on our facilities will be thoroughly investigated so that appropriate sanctions, including disciplinary, criminal and civil action can be taken by the district and/or the State.


Initial Title IX Assessment

In every report of sexual harassment or misconduct, the district will make an immediate assessment of any risk of harm to individuals or to the campus community and will take steps necessary to address those risks. These steps may include interim protective measures to provide for the safety of the individual and the campus community.


The initial review will proceed to the point where a reasonable assessment of the safety of the individual and of the campus community can be made. Thereafter, the investigation may be initiated depending on a variety of factors, such as the Complainant’s wish to pursue disciplinary action, the risk posed to any individual or the campus community by not proceeding, and the nature of the allegation.  

Seeking Interim Actions
Whether or not a student or employee reports to law enforcement and or pursues any formal action, if they report an incident of sexual violence to the district, we are committed to providing them as safe learning or working environment as possible.

Upon request RSCCD will make any reasonably available change to a victim’s academic and or working situation. Examples of interim actions include: shielding a student from ongoing contact with an individual; taking that individual out of a class or issuing an administrative no-contact order; assigning an individual to a different lab or other clinical setting; asking an administrative authority to speak to the individual to express serious concern about a behavior; reminding the individual of policies and definitions relating to sexual misconduct; and  offering counseling targeted to addressing sexual aggression. Interim actions do not preclude formal discipline.


Formal Complaint
Bringing a formal complaint will lead to an investigation and a hearing (in most cases), and can result in punitive outcomes. Filing a complaint is often the best way to seek protection from future harm. The student bringing the complaint retains considerable control, although not total, as the process unfolds.

Potential actions, which may be imposed following the final determination of an on-campus disciplinary procedure regarding sexual offenses, are: 1) dismissal; 2) suspension; 3) probation; and 4) referral to local law enforcement agencies for prosecution, pursuant to Board Policy #5201 (Standards of Student Conduct).

A non-campus disciplinary proceeding, applicable to individual students, student organizations, faculty and staff, will be held in cases of alleged sexual assaults. The accuser and the accused are entitled to the same opportunity to have others present during such a hearing. Both the accuser and the accused shall be informed of the outcome of this hearing.


 ​Other Resources

 Where can I find information on how to reduce my risk of being a victim of sexual assault or stalking?