Each web site created under a parent site is called a “subsite” or website. Each subsite can be a top level website (e.g. department website) which can have multiples subsites, down as many levels as users need.
To create a new website:
New Site from
- Click on
Create window, enter
Site Title and
URL (follow naming convention)
- Keep default permissions (Use same permisisons as parent site)
You can break parent permisisons inheritance later if needed.
Go back to the parent site and select
Site Actions >
View All Site Content. The new site appears under
Sites and Workspaces.
- possesses all the features of a parent site
- can inherit its parent permissions or have its own
- can show parent navigation links or only its own navigation
- can be made public or private
When it is private, only permitted users have access
Pages Library Settings
- Open the
Pages library and select the
Page tab on the ribbon
- Click on
Library Setttings on the right hand side of the ribbon
General Settings, select
Versioning Settings to open the
Pages Library Settings page.
Content Approval is disabled by default. The
No option should be checked.
Note: If your site is assigned to a contributor and needs the site owner's approval to publish a page, you can enable the content approval by checking
Document Version History
Set the number of major and minor versions you want to keep.
Required Check Out
- to prevent multiple people from making changes at the same time.
- so team members can add a comment to keep track what has changed in each version.
- to enable the"Discard Check Out" option, which allows you to discard the changes you have made to your checked out version.
Note: You can override a page checked out page by another user, but this will override all the changes that user has made.
Pages Library Settings: