Working After Retirement

​​PER/STRS Impact

Many RSCCD Employees elect to return to work, after retiring from full time service, but there are limitations on the amount of money you may earn before your STRS/PERS benefit will be affected.

Please call to Confirm: 
CALSTRS @ 800-228-5453 
​CALPERS @ 888-225-7377

Both PERS and STRS have a 180 calendar day waiting period before you can return to PERS and STRS employment. You can continue to receive your full retirement benefit, with no earnings limitation​, if you take a job outside of PERS and STRS covered employment.

There is a different earning limit on PERS/STRS, which is adjusted each year.  Be sure to check with them for details.

Social Security Impact

If you decide to continue working once you begin collecting Social Security benefits, there is a maximum amount you can earn if you have not reached full retirement age.

If you are younger than full retirement age during the entire calendar year, there is a  maximum you can earn.  For each $2 earned over the maximum, $1 will be deducted from your benefit.

If you reach full retirement age during the calendar year, there is a  maximum you can earn. For each $3 earned over the maximum, $1 will be deducted from your benefit until the month you reach full retirement age.

To help determine the amount of your benefit you can use Social Security’s online Retirement​​ Estimator at:

To begin collecting your benefit, you can apply online at or call 1-800-772-1213. You can also make an​ appointment at your local Social Security office.